Friday, October 31, 2008

Tula marathi yete ka?

“Acha twaanu Marathi nahin aundi” and both of us laughed. The other day, after exchanging greetings in Marathi with Hema ji I finally said “ Mala Marathi yete naahi” signaling that I don’t know much of Marathi. I have learnt few basic dialogues from Marathi, Kannada, Telegu and other Indian languages from my Infosys batchmates who came from different parts of India. And the few lines that I have picked up I tend to use these wherever possible. Perhaps this was another occasion when I was trying to prove my Marathi skills to one of the sister saints who was born and brought up in Mumbai and is Marathi by mother tongue. After listening to my dialogue, she smiled and checked in Punjabi ‘So you don’t know Marathi?’ and both of us laughed.
Both of us at that moment appreciated the hands of the potter who is molding our clays in order to bring humans out of us. It is saddening to see at times people around fighting over the languages, however at the same time comes a feeling of gratitude for the spiritual guide who taught a Punjabi guy to admire Marathi and a Marathi gal to accept Punjabi. One of the traits of spiritual living is Acceptance. Accept – The other being as such. I guess there also exists another generous acceptance where you accept the things what other does. Probably that’s what Hema ji too has picked up - She wasn’t just okay with me being a Punjabi and she being a Marathi. She picked up the finest form of acceptance – she picked up what I spoke. This acceptance in her isn’t just confined to her speech, but every aspect of her living. And it’s again something she has learnt while growing up.
Had it not been your grace my Allah, I too would have confined myself in the barriers of languages, dressing styles, eating habits, colors of the skin etc and yet call myself a spiritual being. Also, thanks to the potter who picked me up and is shaping a true human out of this clay. I know I need to be shaped a lot to be able to love other beings as my own self, to respect others, to help others, to be kind to others, to be generous, to be a listener, to be a peacemaker, to be … Task is too much but I do have faith in you O Murshid, and of course with God's grace whenever I die I should be able to reply “yes” to this question from a famous book -

“Have you ever had a teacher ..........Someone who during your formative years has made you look at life differently? ....... Someone who would look at you and see a raw but precious gem? Someone who would love you not only for what you are but for what you could become?”

No comments: