Friday, October 24, 2008

Counting Blessings


My mother and I were talking over phone sometime in January when I asked her – Mummy what should I carry for you. In Jan’ 08, I was travelling to India for the first time after my arrival here in UK. I was quite excited to carry gifts for my relatives and hence was checking with them if they specifically wanted something from here. I was expecting that my mother would not keep any desire for sure. She would be happier to see me in person and spend some time with me. But she, as great she is, politely said – Ashirwaad, Aap mahapursho ka to ashirwad hi kaafi hai. I was seriously taken aback when she said to me – Blessings, blessings from souls like you are sufficient. She wasn’t doing this for the first time. Ever since I was born, I have been in her company and company of many great souls who have been respecting me irrespective of my intellect or age. It’s always great to receive love from family members but I can’t express the feelings in words when this love comes packed with respect.
I seriously feel that I never deserved this family but perhaps the creator was too graceful when he gave me the company of these great souls who are labeled as my parents, my siblings, my fiancée, my friends, my youngsters, and other saints. In the same context, let me introduce you to Abhedita, another champion who is showing her real self; Abhedita is my 6 year old niece. Day before yesterday I called her up and was asking, ‘Abhedita what do you want from here?’ Great as her parents and grandparents, she too took me aside by saying ‘Ashirwad.’ I could later understand my mother’s thoughts but I’m still wondering how come this 6 year old speak such a word and exactly with the same modesty. Hats off to her parents, my brother and bhabhi, and Abhedita’s grandparents in whose company she is taking her spiritual feed. This flower of spirituality blossoms in many ways when it comes to practical living. Some of these ways are reflected in the above examples, respect for your neighboring souls, humility, sweet words, knowing what to desire etc etc.
I remember reading this in scriptures; ”Pratham Bhakti Santan Kar Sanga” meaning that to imbibe the company of saints is loftiest. Saints have always been a medium so that man finds true direction. And it’s awesome when such saints are your relatives. I offer my thanks to the creator for blessing me with the company of saints.

No comments: