Saturday, May 5, 2012

4 ON 10 - Life in all humility


I first heard this incident some 3 years ago, since then it has been one of my favorites. This is about Tuslidas Ji and Rahim Ji. 

Story goes that Rahim Ji was well known for his strange manner of giving alms to the poor. He never looked at the person he was giving alms to, keeping his gaze downwards in all humility. When Tulsidas Ji heard about Rahim Ji's strange method of giving alms, he promptly wrote a couplet and sent it to Rahim Ji:

Aisi deni den jyu, kit seekhe ho sain
Jyon jyon kar oonchyo karo, tyon tyon niche nain

"Sir, Why give gifts like this? Where'd you learn that?
Your hands are as high as your eyes are low"

Realizing that Tulsidas Ji was well 'Aware' of the 'Truth' behind creation, and was merely giving him an opportunity to say a few lines in reply, he wrote to Tulsidas Ji  in all humility:

Denhar koi aur hai, bhejat jo din rain
Log bharam hum par kare, taaso niche nain

"The Giver is someone else, bestowing, day and night.
The world gives me credit: so, down are my eyes."

I am amazed and honestly humbled every time I come across Rahim Ji's name and this incident. I just imagine, how he would have actually recited these words with eyes down in humility...just amazing!!

Perhaps this is the 4th item to be kept on my To Do list - Humility. Wish when I breath my last, I would have inculcated this important teaching in my life.

As Ravi Ji other day reminded that "Mitha bolo te niv chalo, Murshid ehiyo seekhaanda hai"...humility is such an important aspect. I have seen so many living examples of humility in my life, that I sometimes just feel jealous :)

With jealously, I recall Upashak Ji's example where he says that beauty in a garden is guaranteed because rose is not complaining why I couldn't be as tall as coconut tree and coconut tree is not complaining that why I couldn't have beautiful flowers like rose. Everyone is happy the way they are.

Obviously Jealously shouldn't be there :) That's another thing I need to learn. 

If you are wondering like me, how does jealousy, humility fit in same post...and if you have known me in person and wondering how does humility even relate to a person like me....just chill!!!

I don't have any humility I know but that's why I am keeping it in my To Do. I pray, and you too join me in prayers, that may Nirankar bless me with a life that's lived in all humility. 

Amen!

No comments: