Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Steve Sunil - Bhai Bhai

I met Steve in one of the Interfaith Meetings that are held every month here in Swindon. Steve, almost of my grandfather’s age, carries a modest pose and is such a beautiful soul that I have fallen in love with his personality. Generally I long to meet souls who can feed me spiritually. It’s not that I don’t believe in ‘world in me’ concept; it’s just that I enjoy ‘our world’ philosophy too. Khair, I also enjoy having a sip of Starbucks Caramel Macchiato in company of such great souls. One fine Saturday, Steve and I met for a coffee and we started discussing our work places, home towns, families etc etc. Don’t know when and why Steve asked me “Sunil, Do you believe in rebirths? “ Knowing that perhaps he had a different view point on this, I kept my view after taking few precautions of not hurting any of his sentiments. However, my smartness I would say that towards the end of our conversation, I closed with a thought “Steve, I haven’t read what you have read on this, but I know that something would be behind your philosophy which will take you to my philosophy” Steve didn’t disagree but neither did he appreciate my reply.
However, while I was making my return journey I was disturbed by my inner self. “Sunil, not done. It’s true that you believe in rebirths and Steve holds a different opinion. But were you trying to prove your point to him? Wasn’t this approach of differentiating between his philosophy and your own philosophy? This is not what real religion is all about. It’s about uniting. No matter you would hear different philosophies, different concepts but yet try to find similarities. If your approach is of similarity, even diversity becomes a beauty. Was there a need to quarrel, if you believe in rebirth and Steve doesn’t… perhaps you should have looked at the point that both of you believe in this birth. Of course no one could have ever mentioned the experiences of life after death but at least you have heard of life before death. So concentrate on it and beautify this life, even if you are not worried for the next life! Make sure that more important than rebirths or no rebirth is this birth where you have a responsibility to beautify your own world. “
Though am doing my course on how to pick up all goodness from different philosophies, I yet humbly, at the same time strongly put forward “All is well that ends well but if it isn’t well now, believe me it’s not the end now. “
- A Learner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful thought to share and I agree that the beauty lies in diversity i.e. why Nirankari mission is named for universal Brotherhood where we are have a equilibrium for Spirituality. No one fights for caste, creeds and colors or even for God.

nids said...

i truely appreciate the lines...

""perhaps you should have looked at the point that both of you believe in this birth. Of course no one could have ever mentioned the experiences of life after death but at least you have heard of life before death.

--nidhi