Saturday, May 16, 2020

Learnings continue...

I browsed through different channels as it was break time on the show I was watching. Surprisingly all channels I skimmed through were showing ads so I was left with no choice but to watch ad of my choice. I stopped on one channel and kind of paid no ear to what was coming but one line on this ad caught my attention. 
This ad was for some hair fall prevention cream. The ad was nearly finished so don’t remember all particulars but the final statement by the model. The model must be in his mid-forties, not really bald but with less hair on his head. His statement was – do not repeat my mistake, take caution when you notice first hair fall and apply so & so cream. The ad somehow appeared different from all other ads I have normally seen. Generally they would compare situation before and after. A model with shiny hair and covered scalp would also have made sense in hair product ad but here I was seeing this model saying don’t repeat my mistake. My first thought was – great, you don’t need to have shiny, silky hair to be a model for hair product. However second thought took me more deep into analyzing and recollecting a similar example I had heard in Satsang.
The speaker was giving an example of a drunkard who is completely drunk and shouting ‘don’t drink don’t drink’. Speaker further said our normal reaction would be to question, ‘if drinking is so bad and you are prophesizing for not drinking why don’t you leave it yourself first’. There’s nothing sinful of looking at the scene from this angle but the message to take is, ‘don’t drink’, even if it is coming from mouth of a drunkard.
It is likely that the drunkard has realized his addiction but is now helpless to control or stop his drinking habit. Just because he has not recovered from his mistake doesn’t mean you need to commit the mistake. By giving this example speaker intended to share the message that at times we do overlook the learning at times while being judgmental of whether the speaker has himself followed his words. In such situations, credibility of one who is saying can be pondered upon but not of the message. Message in itself is complete and meaningful. 
Much like this model – who himself has lost hairs but his message is apt – don’t repeat my mistake, take caution when you should.
This reminds me of another email I browsed/shared few days ago with message to speak when you have followed the message to bring real impact, but when I am in listener’s seat I can learn even from people who themselves may not have followed the message. This is how listening becomes enjoyable and productive.

(Oct 2014)

No comments: