Sunday, December 18, 2011

Birthdays..Facebook..Time..

Not so often would you come across such a question on your birthday 'Is there any particular wish or statement by someone which has resonated in your mind since morning?'

Made me think.

One from last year perhaps. A statement from Nidhi Ji. 
(Nidhi Ji - If you read this someday, Please believe I can 'imagine' the proud smile on your face.)

While wishing me last year she made sure that she adds a special touch to it - '....Bhaiya I wish on your birthday because I remembered it not because I saw it on Facebook.' She has not been a fan of Facebook - this I have known but had never thought about how we often tend to connect to our friends only on their special days that too because we see a reminder. However, I personally don't fully disapprove of the Facebook reminders, perhaps on one day people make someone feel special - even if it is for one day and that too because of reminders. Though it would have been better if we remembered people and their days without any external help.

Yesterday was filled with connections - wishes from family and friends, even from the Facebook world. Not much different I would say - same as it must be for everyone. I was at work yesterday therefore was not able to spend quality time with the wishers. A learning that I would like to take forward from yesterday is to take off from work on birthdays - there's a world that would connect to you on this day and you must receive it 'fully'. At so many points during the day, I felt I wasn't doing justice to the friends who took out time from their schedules to connect with me. Anyhow, there is something to learn and take forward - that's more important.

For many years I have thought how nice it would be to have everyday as a birthday - one receives so much love and warmth from friends which on normal days one doesn't hear. I don't think that warmth, love is absent on other days and suddenly rises on your birthday but think everyone is busy on their chores, and seldom they pause to express it. Birthdays are just such opportunities when people come to express via their wishes. However yesterday I was thinking the opposite - how about birthdays being days with not super jet speed? At least you don't feel guilty of not being able to give time to people as you would do normally. Its strange - normally people don't get time to pause and on this day you don't get time to reciprocate. Anyhow, not so serious topic to think about :)

Crux is to be thankful - even if people wish because of Facebook, take out time to receive gracefully, and when it comes for you to wish - try that you make people are a part of your life so that you don't have to depend on external reminders. And most importantly - treat everyone, everyday as it is their birthday :)




1 comment:

nids said...

You earned all this bhai, people will remember your b'day beyond social network and reminders. Keep going, stay beautiful.
-Nids